This page lists information (images AND text) on local memories and reminiscences often in the form of audio records or recollections of childhood or life in a local village. This information is provided to assist in deciding whether a visit to the History Centre may benefit your research. However, please do not assume that it is either complete or accurate.
Images (which may be clicked on to enlarge) are provided as they often convey more information than the text that follows . The images may also help with locating information within the History Centre.
Audio Cassettes (in process of being transferred to digital media).
- Cassette 1 – Margaret Loose reciting her own poetry
- Cassette 2 & 3 – 18 April 1998
- Cassette 4 – The Girl Joan (Parry nee Musters)
- Cassette 5 – Rev Judith Stevens 31st July 1997
- Cassette 6 – Man of Norfolk by J Timpson with Dick Joyce of Castle Acre
- Cassette 7 Side 1 & 2 – Freda Starr and Jim Bishop
- Cassette 8 – Mary Long (Mrs Ferroussat) and Ronnie Ducking
- Cassette 9 Side 1 & 2 – Sam Parsons (83) April 1980
- Cassette 10 – Mary Long (Mrs Ferroussat) and unknown
- Cassette 11 – Bill Hayward’s 90th Birthday 2nd December 1990
- Cassette 12 – Five elderly people at the Glaven Centre
- Cassette 13 Side 1 & 2 – BBC Radio Norfolk Thoughts and Adventures of Old Barney
- Cassette 14 Side 1 & 2 – Nigel Boy Syer sings eleven songs in Norfolk Dialect
- Cassette 15 Side 1 – Keith Skipper interviewing Sydney Loose and Stratton Long
- Cassette 15 Side 2 – ?
- Cassette 16 – Kipper Family at Chelmsford
- Cassette 17 Side 1 – Bill Timms interviews Joe P. Jordan & James Leach, Stiffkey
- Cassette 17 Side 2 – J. P. Jordan
Memories, Memoirs and other Notes
Eleanor Arthur (nee Long). Known as Nelly (Obituary) by Morris Arthur. Published in Glaven Valley Newsletter
Colin ‘Cobo’ Cobon, Blakeney.
An address given as the 2002 East Coast Wildfowling Conference whilst Chairman of the Blakeney and district Wildfowlers Association
Memories of a Norfolk Childhood by Mabel Simonds (nee Kay).
- Born 4th April, 1912 at Zetland House, Cley-next-the-Sea.
- Childhood spent at Manor Farm House, Blakeney where her father, Dr A R Kay, had his practice.
- Moved to Halfway House, the High Street, Blakeney in 1929, then Clark’s House on the Quay,1935 before leaving for Hampshire.
George Adam Fox (Interview with)
- The Modern ‘Young Man’ of Wiveton
- 27 September 1935
- Reminiscences of an agile nonagenarian
Godfrey Sayers (Memories from)
How the (Second World) War came to Cley by Ian Massingham
John ‘Shot’ Bone (Memories of) by Morris Arthur, 21 February 2006
Leila Page (memories from)
Lesley Victor Page (Obituary)
Born in Hempstead
Local Characters of Blakeney (A memory by R.B. Dew, 2005)
- Jacob Holiday, the shoesmith
- Old Palmer
- Charlie Long, the Coxswain
Royal British Legion ‘Hut’, Blakeney
Tony Wright (Funeral Address, 5 January 2011)