This page lists information (images AND text) on the Kenneth Allen papers. This information is provided to assist in deciding whether a visit to the History Centre may benefit your research. However, please do not assume that it is either complete or accurate.
Images (which may be clicked on to enlarge) are provided as they often convey more information than the text that follows . The images may also help with locating information within the History Centre.
Two sets of Kenneth Allen Papers are in existence, one complete set deposited at the Norfolk Record Centre in Norwich and a second, incomplete set, deposited here at the History Centre, Blakeney.
The History Centre set is missing the Maps and the collection of Booklets.
The Papers are generally arranged in folders and these are housed in 10 Boxes with three folders to a Box.
The description of the contents for these folders, held by each of the Centres, is included here and there is some similarity between the History Centre and the Record Office numbering.
Pages 1-61: Act for Improving the Harbour of Blakeney 1817, and
Pages 120-163: Tidal Harbours Commission 1846
are now filed together, in a folder on the open shelves amongst the Glaven Shipping Records
Pages 62-119: An Act for Inclosing Lands within the Parishes of Blakeney, Wiveton and Glandford, in the County of Norfolk (8th July 1820).
Note; These pages are now in a separate folder on the open shelves
Page 31 Box 9 File IV
Cley copyhold descent Box 9 File VII
Norfolk Record Office
Seen in the custody of Professor Dew (24.11.83) before transfer to the Norfolk Record Office.
Rough Index of Contents
- 1-10 Cal. of Inquisit. post mortem. Hen. Ill – Hen. VII.
- 11 – 12 Feudal Aids.
- 13 – 18 Botuli Parl. Temp. Edw. III
- 19 – 39 Cal. State papers, Domestic Series, 1547 – 1704.
- 40 – 56 Letters &. Papers of Reign of Henry VIII.
- 57 – 131 Patent Rolls, 1216 – 15
- 1-6 Feet of Fines.
- 7 – 9 Charter Rolls.
- 10 – 22 Fine Rolls.
- 23 – 29 Cal. Inquisit. Misc. (Chancery).
- 30 – 32 Curia Regis Rolls.
- 33 – 108
- Foedera Litterae & Acta Publica.
- Lynn & Fakenham Rly Act 1882.
- L.& F. Rly Co. & Blakeney Harbour Co. – Heads of Agreement for sale.
- 1-22 Pipe Roll.
- 23 Testa de Nevill
- 24 – 32 Rotuli Hund. 1272/3.
- 33 – 41 Stat. 31 Edw. III 1358.
- 42 – 66 Paston Letters.
- 67 – 69 Black Prince’s Register 1351 – 1365.
- 70 – 79 Hakluyt’s Voyages 1589.
- 60 – 94 Acts of Privy Council 1542 – 1631.
- 93 – 103
- Cal. entries in Papal Register (relating to G.B.) 1198 – 1492.
- Hillen’s history of Yarmouth (extracts).
- Collectanea Topographica et Genealogica.
- Abstract of Title : White Horse, Blakeney.
- Norfolk Record Society
- N.N. Nat. Soc.
- Extracts from Cozens Hardy papers relating to Cley.
- 1-172 Inclosure Act, Cley 1621.
- 173 – 173 Extracts fro.u Statement of Claims.
- 176 – 191 Extracts from Award.
- Close Rolls.
- Papers relating to :
- Port & Haven
- Population :
- Census 1801 etc.
- Parish Register B. D. M. annual totals
- 1841 & 1861 census schedules (Blakeney)
- Population: for Cley & Wiveton –
- Parish Register B. D. M. annual totals
- 1841 & 1861 census schedules
- Maritime History of Norfolk (Walter Rye)
- being draft contribution to V. C. H. – with additional notes by B. Cozens Hardy (113 pages).
- Historical Geography of Blakeney Haven & reasons for its decline in prosperity. (R. Scoones – Geog tripos Part II Clare Coll. Camb. 1930). Inc. ref. to A/c Book of J. Jann 1770-1784.
- Valor Ecclesiasticus, Hen. VIII.
- Taxatio Ecclesiastiae, Pope Nich. IV.
- Building of England (Pevsner).
- Cley Church (B. C. H.).
- Farrer’s Church Heraldry.
- 49 – 5
- Deed of Guildhall (1627).
- Commissioners on Charities (1833)
- Hansishes Urkundenbuch.
- Monasticon Anglicum.
- 1-61 Act for Improving the Harbour of Blakeney 1817
- 62-119 Act for Inclosing Lands in Blakeney, Wiveton & Glandford 1820
- 120 – 163 Tidal Harbour Commission 1846
- Extracts from Proc. of the N. N. Arch. Soc.
- Topographical extracts from published sources. – 24 Papers.
- General Topographical – Blomefield Bryant
- Various papers & letters, including:
- 112 Hearth Tax. E. 179. 253/45. (19 Chas. II)
- 123 – 127 Letter re customs history & coastguards from King’s Beam Ho. 1959.
II UNNUMBERED FILES (Seven)
II (a) Port Records E.190. Transcriptions of:
- 473/1 1572 – 73
- 481/4 1600 – 01
- 481/6 1600 – 01
- 481/7 1600 – 01
- 482/5 1601
- 464/8 1613 – 14
- 465/18 1617 – 18
- 491/6 1638 – 39
- 515/22 1700 – 01
- 540/1 1725 – 26
- 540/15 1725 – 26
- 540/3 1726
- 539/8 1726
- 541/10 1726
- 565/27 1780
- 565/4 1780
- 565/16 1780
- 565/22 1779 – 80
II. (b) Bibliography of State Papers, publications, letters etc inc:
- K.A. Address to Womens Institute – Blakeney
- titles to Customs Ho. Cley.
- no evidence for guilds.
- comments on Hearth Tax records.
- Schram supports “black eye” origin of “blakeney”.
- Extracts & essays (24), inc Scoones & Allen
- Copies of notes on history of Blakeney & Cley (mainly duplicates).
- Maritime Trade & decline of the port of Blakeney & Cley , 1500 – 1900
Hooton, Selwyn Coll. Camb. 1973.
- Original essay (Allen) inc. 2 old photos of Blakeney Quay
III. FILL OF MSS.
- Copies obtained mainly from PRO, mainly re customs, viz.
- E.190 471/9
- E.190 473/1
IV. BOX FILE
- Copies from Patent, Fine, Hundred, and Close Rolls, misc. inc
- Paston Letters – 11 pages
- Act enclosing lad at Cley and Field Dalling
- Statement of Claims : Cley & Wiveton embankment & drainage 1821
- Note on Life Boat Station est. 1825 out re-est. by RNLI 1861
- Shares of Blakeney Harbour Co. 1818.
- Fundatio Domus Fratrium de Blakeney – 37 Pages
- Sundry Papers – 70 Pages
V BOX FILE
- Labelled ” BIM Council ” but containing local book(let)s.
VI SMALL CARD INDEX
- Containing some definitions. AND ALLEN SEARCH TICKETS
VII LARGE CARD INDEX
- Containing misc. (place/name etc) index to files & page numbers
- Guide to the Contents of the Public Records Office 1963
THE KENNETH ALLEN PAPERS
Collections for the history of the Port of Blakeney and Cley c1066- c1980, deposited by Mr. Kenneth E. W. Allen, Snitterley, Blakeney, on the 12th of January, 1984.
MC 106 (MS 21810)
Marked A. Extracts from Chancery Calendars and Calendars of state papers, 13th-18th cent. (l file)
MC 106/1, 560 x 5
Marked B. Extracts from Chancery Calendars and other public records, including agreement for purchase of Blakeney Harbour undertaking by the Lynn and Fakenham Railway Company 1882.
MC 106/2, 560 x 5
Marked C, Extracts from Chancery, Exchequer and other Central Government series, Hakluyt, Calendar of Papal Registers, etc.; copy Abstract of Title to the White House, Blakeney, 1697-1804. (l file)
MC 106/3, 560 x 5
Marked D. Extracts from proceedings of the Norfolk Record Society and the Norfolk and Norwich Naturalists’ Society. (l file)
MC 106/4, 560 x 5
Marked E. Transcripts of papers concerning Cley lent by Basil Cozens-Hardy, including letters of the 1920s of 0. K. Schram and A. B. Whittingham, and copies of local wills and subsidy assessments. (l file)
MC 106/5, 560 x 5
Marked F. Transcript of Cley Inclosure Act 1821 and extracts from Inclosure Award and Statement of Claims, (l file)
MC 106/6, 560 x 6
Marked G. Extracts from Calendars of Close Rolls. (l file)
MC 106/7, 560 x 6
Marked H. Transcripts from printed and archive sources on the Haven, geographical matters, data from Domesday Book.
MC 106/8, 560 x 6
Marked I. Statistical analysis of Blakeney parish register 1538-1955 and transcript of census enumerator’s schedules of 18141 and 1861.
MC 106/9, 560 x 6
Marked J. Similar analysis of Cley register 1536-1966 and Wiveton register 1538-1966, and transcript of Wiveton census schedules 1841, 1861, and Cley 18141
MC 106/10, 560 x 6
Marked K. Transcript of proof copy of article on the maritime history of Norfolk by Walter Rye, submitted to but not printed bv the Victoria County History; a further copy of Scoones’ essay (see no. 20).
MC 106/11, 560 x 6
Marked L. Extracts from Valor Ecclesiaaticus, Pope Nicholas’ Taxation and other printed sources; transcript of a deed relating to Blakeney Guildhall 1627 and photocopies of elevations dated 1924 of Blakeney Whitefriars.
MC 106/12, 560 x 7
Marked M. Copies of Act for improving Blakeney Harbour 1817, Blakeney, Wiveton and Glandford Inclosure Act 1820, and Tidal Harbours Commission Report 1846. (1 file)
MC 106/13, 560 x 7
Marked N. Extracts from Norfolk Archaeology
MC 106/14, 560 x 7
Marked O. ‘General Topographical’. Including copies of charts of the Haven 1586, 1682-90, 1690, newscuttings, and extracts from Blomefield’s Norfolk and Bryant’s Norfolk Churches.
MC 106/15, 560 x 7
Marked P. ‘Various’. Including transcript of brief essay on Cley by Canon Gordon Roe, correspondence of the 1960s, transcripts from printed and archive sources including re the case of the Rev. James Hackman of Wiveton executed for murder 1779.
MC 106/16, 560 x 7
Marked ‘Port Records’. Transcripts of Blakeney port books 1567-1780.
MC 106/17, 560 x 7
Typescript and manuscript histories of Blakeney with local drawings and photograph including of guildhall interior. The date 1927 occurs.
MC 106/18, 560 x 8
Text of talk on the history of Blakeney, with print of 1586 map of the Haven.
MC 106/19, 560 x 8
Essay ‘The Historical Geography of the Blakeney Haven and the reasons for its decline in prosperity’, submitted by R. Scoones for the Cambridge Geographical Tripos part 2, 1958. With maps. (l gathering)
MC 106/20, 560 x 8
Further copy of Scoones’ essay and transcripts mainly from looal printed sources. (1 gathering)
MC 106/21, 560 x 8
Further copies of harbour purchase agreement (see no. 2), Rye’s history (see no, 11), and copies of other notes and extract* by Basil Cozens-Hardy. (1 gathering)
MC 106/22, 560 x 8
Bibliographical notes; transcript of Holt Hundred subsidy assessment of 1691; transcripts of declaration re collectorship of port of Blakeney and Cley 1632 and of Abstract of Title to Cley custom house I634-I844; local history correspondence 1960s. (1 file)
MC 106/23, 560 x 8
Card index of references from printed sources and analysis of property descents from the Cley manor court books. (1 box)
MC 106/24, 560 x 9
Glossary of obsolete and dialect words, on cards; library request slips. (1 box)
MC 106/25» 560 x 9
Booklets mainly of local and regional interest; copy of the Cley and Field Dalling Inclosure Act 1808 with contemporary annotations; statement of claims in the Cley and Wiveton Inclosure c.l824 local history notes and transcripts inc. on history of the lifeboat station and text of talk on the history of Blakeney 1967; thirteen Blakeney harbour share certificates 1818. (1 boxfile)
MC 106/26, 561 x 1
Photocopies from Central Government records, 14th—18th cent. (l file)
MC 106/27, 561 x 2
MS maps (photocopies) and printed maps, as follows –
Blakeney Haven and the Port of Cley, 1586, with drawings of adjacent settlements and other decoration (photograph of copy of 1846)
Coastal chart of Eastern England from atlas, by Janseen Wajheuaer 1585.
Blakeney Harbour, Benjamin Leak, Holt, surveyor, 1817.
Ordnance Survey draft map of the area, c1820.
Blakeney, Wiveton and Glandford Inclosure maps and copy maps, 1824.
(Printed) Chart of coast from Happisburgh to Blakeney 1828.
(Printed) Cley and Blakeney Harbour 1835
Salthouae, Kelling and Cley Inclosure map 1853
(Printed) O.S. 25 in. 1906, Blakeney
(Printed) Chart of coast from Blakeney to Winterton, 1975
Photocopy of illuminated Letters Patent of Henry VIII granting lands at Beccles and elsewhere to William Rede, 1542.
MC 106/28, M2
Kenneth Allen Brass Rubbings
From various local churches