Click here for an online version presented as a portable document format (pdf). It will open in a separate window or tab.
Note: The articles in this issue did not include a synopsis.
Archaeological recording at the entrance to St Margaret’s churchyard, Cley-next-the-Sea
Opening a window on Cley. The archaeological excavation: historical and environmental evidence
Synopsis: Archaeological information together with documentary and environmental evidence is used to explore the evolution of Cley Churchyard and the surrounding environment from pre-reformation to recent times.
The Binham fieldbook of 1576
Synopsis: Binham is fortunate in having a fieldbook from 1576 describing in some detail the land holdings in the parish. The text, in neatly-written Latin, can be used to create maps showing the location of many of these holdings, which include residential property as well as land in agricultural use. This article describes the content of the fieldbook and then draws on this and other sources to convey a picture of Binham in the later 1500s.
Sir William Heydon and his heraldic heiresses
Synopsis: The aim of this paper is to investigate the Coat of Arms on the 1586 Map of Blakeney Haven and Port of Cley by John Darby (hereafter `the 1586 Map’).
Christopher Ringer of Field Dalling and provision for the poor of north Norfolk, 1601-1834
Synopsis: The author considers provision for the poor of north Norfolk in the years between 1601 and 1834, with particular reference to the bequests of Christopher Ringer of Field Dalling, who died in 1678.
Farm rents for Manor Farm, Field Dalling, 1773-1821
Synopsis: The author investigates the rents paid to the Dean and Chapter of Norwich Cathedral by the tenants of Manor Farm, Field Dalling. These rents included payment in kind, and the author attempts to put monetary value to the volumes of wheat and malt that the tenant was expected to deliver to the cathedral precinct in Norwich.
The Field names of Cley in 1841
A General investigation: “Just Like That”
The wreck of the Hjørdis in 1916
Synopsis: In 1916 a Norwegian collier, the S S Hjørdis, came to grief at the entrance to Blakeney harbour. The remains lie there still: the harbour mouth moves but the wreck does not. This year (2016) currents have scoured the wreck so that it is once more prominent and a potential danger to boats entering or leaving the harbour. Aerial photographs have stimulated widespread comment about the ‘eerie remains’ of a ‘Mary Celeste’ or a ‘zombie ship’. This article recounts the events of February 1916 using contemporary press reports.
Thomas William Bourne of Cley and Blakeney
Dana Josephson and Robert J Bruce
Blakeney World War II Parish Invasion Committee