Click here for an online version presented as a portable document format
Church & other Organs in the Glaven Valley: by Andrew Hayden
Synopsis: Church organs have a long history dating back to at least the 12th century. In the Glaven Valley and some of the surrounding villages there are a number of fine historic organs from the 19th century that illustrate a range of these instruments and their builders.
The Mysterious Green Man: by Geoff Worton
Synopsis: This article explores the enigmatic carvings, pictures etc. depicting the ‘Green Man’ who appears in so many Norfolk churches. It considers his place in history and folklore before discussing his various guises and where he might be found.
Blakeney Ships and their Owners in the mid 19th Century: by Michael Stammers
Synopsis: Based on the local Shipping Registers and other records, an analysis of the characteristics of ships acquired in Blakeney, Cley and district between 1839 and 1873 is presented. This information, together with a breakdown of the shareholders allows the substantial non-maritime investment and also the value, earnings and trades to be placed in the general context of mid 19th century rural ports.
The Catling Ship Models: by Jonathan Hooton
Synopsis: a brief biography of Peter Catling and an account of his ship models.
The Calthorpes in Norfolk “a clan rather than a family”: by Pamela Peake
Synopsis: The history of the Calthorpe family in North Norfolk is explored, thereby placing their presence in the lower Glaven valley in a wider context. Their financial fortunes are followed through centuries of land ownership, advantageous marriages, religious turmoil, political unrest and public service. It demonstrates the versatility and survival of this family extending through 21 generations.
Rural Settlement in North Norfolk: by Michael Medlar
Synopsis: The area between the Glaven and Stiffkey valleys is one of undulating terrain covered with a variety of soils. In this article the author will explore the development of settlement in the parishes of Glandford, Saxlingham, Langham, Field Dalling, Cockthorpe and Binham in the medieval period between the compiling of the Doomsday Book (1086) and the Dissolution of the Monasteries (circa 1540). The evidence from the printed sources, original maps and documents, as well as from the modern landscape, will be used in this interpretation, but more detailed analysis of archaeological finds could enable a fuller picture of each settlement to be constructed.
Archaeological Excavations in Wiveton Village – preliminary results from the Higher Education Field Academy CORS test pits in 2006: by Carenza Lewis
Synopsis: Fourteen test pits were excavated in Wiveton by children from surrounding schools working under the auspices of HEFA and CORS schemes. These pits were distributed throughout the village and material recovered from them, particularly pottery, has been identified and phosphate levels of soil samples have been analysed. The distribution of the different pottery types provides some interesting and provocative ideas on the early history of the village. It suggests that there was possibly a hiatus in the population between the Black Death and the mid-16th century and that the centre of the village lay to the north of the church.