This issue is online. Please click on a title below to open the article in a separate tab or window.
Synopsis: Nearly 1,200 metal objects, half of them coins, tokens and jettons, have been recovered recently by metal detectorists in the Wiveton area. The author has made a detailed study of these objects and has already published, in the previous issue of The Glaven Hislorian a report on the tokens. This article describes a collection of 120 metal counters, or jettons, and shows how analysis can give an insight into their use and add to our knowledge of the area in medieval and Tudor times.
Synopsis: The old core of Blakeney village is clearly contained within High Street and Westgate Street – except for an outlier a short way along Morston Road This additional part of the village, generally known as Greencroft, has a surprisingly early origin. This article outlines the building history of the area up to 1900.
Synopsis: There is a prevailing view that Carmelite friars built Blakeney church in 1296 hence the events of ¡996 celebrating the 700th anniversary of the founding of the church. Since 1296 the chancel has survived largely unscathed by the rebuilding of the rest of the church in c. 1435 and by subsequent renovations. This article looks at the arguments for the role of the Carmelites and the date of 1296 and concludes that there is no real evidence for either.
Synopsis: This article presents a summary of the field walking that has been carried out at Manor Farm in Field Dalling since 1984. The author describes how his interest began almost by accident and developed over the years with practice in the field and searching relevant literature. The emphasis is on the finds and on the conditions best suited to their discovery, with some comments on implications.
Synopsis: This article examines the fortunes of the Baines family in Blakeney from the arrival and settlement of John Baines, together with his acquisition of property under the 1824 Inclosure Act. The family were quintessentially seafarers and their demise follows the decline of the harbour through until the twentieth century when the family name disappeared having survived for just five generations.
Synopsis: ln 1995 there came to light a new source of information about the trading activities of Blakeney Haven in the eighteenth century. The source is a notebook containing the accounts of 31 voyages made between 1726 and 1733 and also some other accounts, mostly relating to the sale of coal The writing is that of William Jennis of Weybourne. This article shows how the book came to be in the author ‘s possession and describes its contents, but does not attempt any systematic analysis of the material.
Synopsis: The ‘Guildhall ‘ in Blakeney is an enigmatic building. Its architecture is a guide to its age but nothing is known about its early history. Last year (2001) BAHS was asked to prepare a revised text to be displayed in the Guildhall. This was done but documentary research has continued and this article presents the results to date – but there is still no break-through on its origins.